Welcome Back Kotter's Ron Palillo Dies
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 14 2012 12:17 PM ET
Actor Ron Palillo, best-known as loudmouthed Horshack on the '70s hit sitcom Welcome Back Kotter, has died unexpectedly at age 63, reports Palm Beach Post.
He is survived by his partner of 41 years, Joseph Gramm, a retired actor. Palillo died at his home in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida this morning and it's unknown whether he'd been ill. A cause of death has not yet been determined.
Palillo starred as Sweathog Arnold Horshack on the highly-rated comedy, which also helped launch the career of John Travolta, from 1975-79. The series starred comic Gabe Kaplan as a teacher who returns to his own Brooklyn high school to educate a group of unruly students.
He had been teaching acting classes at G-Star School of the Arts, a charter school in West Palm Beach, for about three years. “He was the greatest guy. He could have come in with an ego and he didn’t,” Greg Hauptner, founder and CEO of G-Star Academy, tells the Post. “The kids are going to miss him.”
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV
- India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists
- Politics India's Sodomy Ban Incites 'Day of Rage' Among Activists 34 min 32 sec ago
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 36 min 48 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 1 hour 44 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 1 hour 49 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 2 hours 18 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 2 hours 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 hours 48 min ago