Andrew Rannells Says New Normal Will Avoid Gay Stereotypes
BY Jeremy Kinser
September 17 2012 5:57 PM ET
Andrew Rannells, star of NBC's The New Normal, says the hit sitcom's creators Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler are being "very cautious" to avoid letting the gay characters devolve into stereotypes.
Some viewers have criticized the show's gay couple who are planning to have a child as "over the top stereotypes." During an interview with Vulture Rannells offers his opinion and what fans can look forward to in coming episodes.
"I certainly understand," Rannells says, in regard to concern over the issue of stereotypes. "As a homosexual, having watched gays on TV be portrayed, sometimes it’s really great and sometimes it’s just a punch line. I think Ryan and [co-creator] Ali Adler are very cautious about that. And I can tell you, going forward, they’ve given me in particular some real range with this character."
Rannells also commends his on-screen partner Justin Bartha for his progressive attitude about playing a gay character.
"He’s not looking for any pats on the back," Rannells offers. "So often, when straight actors play homosexuals, they get, 'He’s so brave. That was such a brave decision for him to play this part. What a brave role.' And to me that seems like bullshit, because if a part is good, it’s a good part."
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? 6 min 1 sec ago
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested 46 min 9 sec ago
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 1 hour 46 min ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 2 hours 46 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 3:14 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM