Queer Eye Forced These Guys to Come Out
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 19 2013 12:02 PM ET
It's been 10 years since Bravo's Queer Eye for the Straight Guy introduced the concept of gay "lifestyle experts," opened up reality TV for gay people, and made meterosexual living something for Americans of all stripes to strive for. Now a new reunion special,e hosted by Andy Cohen, brings the five guys back together.
People offers up one of the special's biggest reveals: Carson Kressley and Ted Allen were not out to their families when the show was about to air. Kressley, who has had two of his own series and became a fan favorite on Dancing With the Stars since the show ended,
"It was for me ... really ironic that it took something like a makeover show for me to actually be honest and empowered, to get over that fear that your family is not going to love you for who you are," Kressley admitted. He says he literally told his relatives he was gay just weeks before the show just aired.
Allen, who hosts Food Network's hit series, Chopped, says he too had to come out right before the show aired. "They were great when I came out to them. They did not like the idea of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy at all" but, he adds, once the show became a hit they changed their minds. "The funny thing about being semi-famous is it sort of makes everything okay."
Another revelation: at least two of the fab five hooked up on the show, Thom Filicia told the Hollywood Reporter. We know it's not Kressley but beyond that you'll have to wait for Sunday's show to find out who was involved.
The Queer Eye Reunion: 10 Years Later airs Sunday at 9 p.m. ET on Bravo.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 42 min 33 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 43 min 26 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 59 min 14 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM