Shirtless Gay Kiss on British Soap Opera Sparks Controversy
BY Jase Peeples
February 27 2014 5:39 PM ET
The long-running British soap opera Coronation Street received a slew of complaints and homophobic messages after airing a scene in which two of its male characters shared a kiss while shirtless, reports the Mirror.
Though the scene was tame in comparison to similar scenes shared between heterosexual characters on the show, complaints that surfaced after the televised kiss between Todd Grimshaw (Bruno Langley) and Marcus Dent (Charlie Condou) claimed the scene was “sexually suggestive” and inappropriate to air before 8 p.m., as many children were likely to be watching TV at that time.
Shortly after the complaints were received by the creators of the series, the U.K. Office of Communications revealed it had received several complaints over the same-sex content in the series as well. While the broadcast watchdog originally stated it would investigate whether Coronation Street had violated any guidelines with the controversial episode, it later retracted the statement and confirming officials were satisfied and no investigation would take place.
“The vast majority of the audience have no trouble with this,” an insider told the Mirror. “It's real.”
Coronation Street, which debuted on British television in 1960, isn’t the only long-running soap opera to currently be courting controversy with LGBT-inclusive storylines. The American series Days of Our Lives made history earlier this month when fan-favorite gay couple Will (Guy Wilson) and Sonny (Freddie Smith) became the first same-sex couple to be engaged on the series, in a special Valentine’s Day episode.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 52 min 30 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 56 min 57 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 12 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM