WATCH: First Gay Male Wedding in Soap Opera History
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
March 29 2014 7:25 PM ET
NBC’s longest running daytime drama, Days of our Lives, will be making television history next week by airing the first same-sex wedding between two men in soap opera history. Starting April 1, in a storyline that goes on for three consecutive episodes, Will Horton and Sonny Kiriakis (the fan-favorite couple affectionately dubbed “WilSon” by fans) will tie the knot in a ceremony presided by a surprise officiant.
In 2012, the character of Will came to terms with his sexual orientation in powerful episodes that had audiences around the world captivated and rooting for the character to find love. A romance and the culminating engagement earlier this year has been among soap's most popular storylines since then. The announcement comes on the heels of the show’s third GLAAD Award nomination for the storyline this year.
NBC officicals promise the upcoming wedding episodes have "great surprises in store and excitement building around this momentous occasion, audiences will be blown away by the powerful performances to come."
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- Sweden Is Adding a Gender-Neutral Pronoun to Its Dictionary