BY Brandon Voss
April 07 2011 4:25 PM ET
Priscilla Queen of the Desert
Adapted from the 1994 film about a trans woman and two drag queens busing across the Australian outback, this infectious jukebox musical will wipe the puss off any face. The relationship between Will Swenson’s Tick/Mitzi and his son has beefed up on the road to Broadway, but it never detracts from the shameless flamboyance of Tony Sheldon’s Bernadette, Nick Adams as Adam/Felicia, and a birdcage of hot boys in terrific costumes.
Palace Theatre, open-ended.
The Book of Mormon
As smartly crafted as it is crass, this show from South Park’s creators about mismatched Mormon missionaries in Uganda almost lives up to the buzz that heralds it as a musical messiah. Making a gold plate — Mormon joke! — out of a modest meal, Broadway Impact cofounder Rory O’Malley is glorious as Elder McKinley, a closeted missionary who leads a pink-sequined chorus in a showstopper about urge-squelching, “Turn It Off.”
Eugene O’Neill Theatre, open-ended.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 46 min 30 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 1 hour 21 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 1 hour 58 min ago
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 2 hours 7 min ago
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 2 hours 46 min ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa 4:00 AM
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM