Broadway Baby Bares All
BY John Carroll
July 02 2012 6:02 PM ET
In the finale, Kyle Dean and I got "married" onstage while Evita’s Rachel Potter sang her ever-loving face off with Rihanna’s “We Found Love.” Lee staged an absolutely beautiful, moving number. I stood there holding hands with a man I had met only a few days before, in a faux wedding where I was about to say "I do" and kiss him in front of thousands of people. I started to get all choked up. I asked Kyle Dean if he too felt "something." I'm sure he felt absolute disgust toward me but was kind enough to not say anything.
Oh, and on a side note, I saw a video of “the kiss." In my memory, it was very touching and very hot. In reality, it looks like I was reenacting a scene from The Silence of the Lambs. My apologies to the Massey family.
At the end of the show, the 200-plus performers gathered on the stage. The energy between the performers and the audience was electric. Lee came out to the roaring crowd to say his thank-yous and acknowledge the cause. I sat at the end of the runway, a “newlywed” (my real-life husband just rolled his eyes at me) and listened as Lee thanked the stars of the evening. Judith Light, Jennifer Tilly, Miriam Shor, Kyle Dean Massey, Rachel Potter, and somehow tucked in with those well-known theater names was mine, John Carroll.
- 14 Camp Classics We Can't Stop Quoting — Bad Girls Edition
- Obama Cracks Marriage Equality Jokes at White House Correspondent's Dinner
- Antigay Ark. Rally Eclipsed by Protesters Shouting 'Love Is Love'
- WATCH: Preview of Tomorrow's Supreme Court Argument
- Bruce Jenner's Republican Revelation Draws Anger, Praise
- Another Event Moves; Gay Hotel Owners Apologize for Ted Cruz Dinner Party