Broadway Baby Bares All
BY John Carroll
July 02 2012 6:02 PM ET
In the finale, Kyle Dean and I got "married" onstage while Evita’s Rachel Potter sang her ever-loving face off with Rihanna’s “We Found Love.” Lee staged an absolutely beautiful, moving number. I stood there holding hands with a man I had met only a few days before, in a faux wedding where I was about to say "I do" and kiss him in front of thousands of people. I started to get all choked up. I asked Kyle Dean if he too felt "something." I'm sure he felt absolute disgust toward me but was kind enough to not say anything.
Oh, and on a side note, I saw a video of “the kiss." In my memory, it was very touching and very hot. In reality, it looks like I was reenacting a scene from The Silence of the Lambs. My apologies to the Massey family.
At the end of the show, the 200-plus performers gathered on the stage. The energy between the performers and the audience was electric. Lee came out to the roaring crowd to say his thank-yous and acknowledge the cause. I sat at the end of the runway, a “newlywed” (my real-life husband just rolled his eyes at me) and listened as Lee thanked the stars of the evening. Judith Light, Jennifer Tilly, Miriam Shor, Kyle Dean Massey, Rachel Potter, and somehow tucked in with those well-known theater names was mine, John Carroll.
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 8 min 37 sec ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 16 min 48 sec ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 20 min 25 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Does Being Positive Mean I Have to Stop Having Sex? 35 min 39 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Neil Patrick Harris, Behind the Shoot 1 hour 43 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 9:10 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 8:44 AM