Seat Filler: NYC Theater Guide for March
BY Brandon Voss
March 21 2013 8:00 AM ET
It may be hard to fathom how late gay playwright Lanford Wilson’s sweet but slight 1979 two-hander won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama, but Danny Burstein and American Horror Story’s Sarah Paulson make a satisfying meal of it in Roundabout Theatre Company’s pleasant revival. Set in a Missouri boathouse in 1944 and told in real time, it’s a touching tale of a Jewish accountant and a conservative Protestant spinster circling what could be their last chance at love.
Laura Pels Theatre, through May 12.
Are young Americans really as lazy and self-absorbed as foreigners see them? That’s up for debate in Amy Herzog’s tense, electrifying drama about married ex-pats in a Parisian flat where the rent’s unpaid, the husband’s jerking off instead of fighting pediatric AIDS, and a kitchen knife is passed around ominously like Chekhov’s Gun. In the skilled hands of Maria Dizzia and Greg Keller, this codependent couple’s epic unraveling is a thing of exquisite, terrifying beauty.
New York Theatre Workshop, through April 14.
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- What Part of the Middle East Is a Great Gay Destination?
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM