Kick Up Your Heels With Kinky Boots
BY Daniel Villarreal
May 15 2013 8:30 PM ET
You probably already know that the 2005 film Kinky Boots was taken from the real-life story of a U.K. shoe factory that avoided bankruptcy by specializing in fetish footwear for dominatrixes and drag queens.
But what you don't know is that director Jerry Mitchell's musical stage adaptation of the film kicks things up a notch with a book by celebrated Tony award-winner Harvey Fierstein and music by LGBT ally and pop diva Cyndi Lauper.
Kinky Boots focuses on the friendship between Charlie, the young factory owner, and Lola, the smart-talking drag queen who convinces him to take a walk on the wild side. But whereas the film focused on the value of unconventional thinking, the musical focuses on how common ground can bring strangers together, no matter how strange they are.
The musical has already snagged numerous awards and nominations, thanks in part to its strong acting, comic performances and lively choreography. But whether you saw the original film or not, you'll still find yourself dancing along to this plucky, upbeat show — no matter your footwear.
Watch Here TV's Josh Rosenzweig's interview with Kinky Boots director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell below.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Gay Politics - Marriage Equality, Gay Rights, Anti-Discrimination
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM