Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
BY Brandon Voss
December 19 2013 5:55 AM ET
7. A Kid Like Jake
As a conflicted mother, Carla Gugino illuminated Daniel Pearle's intelligent, engrossing play about frazzled parents struggling to make sense of their gender-nonconformist four-year-old son — cleverly unseen onstage — who engages in "gender variant play" rooted in a passion for Disney princesses. While applying to Manhattan's exclusive private schools, tensions flare after a trusted preschool advisor suggests they highlight rather than hide what makes Jake special.
LCT3's Claire Tow Theater, closed.
6. Choir Boy
In addition to lingering locker-room scenes, glorious gospel music elevated out playwright Tarell Alvin McCraney's praiseworthy drama set in a prestigious boarding school for black men. Jeremy Pope dazzled as Pharus, a passionate, provocative choir leader whose limp-wristed loquaciousness invites homophobic taunts and puts him at odds with his headmaster. OMGlee! Recalling Tea and Sympathy, Pharus finds tenderness — and the occasional titillation — from his hot roomie.
Manhattan Theatre Club's Studio at Stage II, closed.
5. Kinky Boots
Based on the 2005 film about Lola, a drag queen who saves a shoe factory, Harvey Fierstein's crowd-pleasing musical isn't just an excuse for flashy drag numbers — although, choreographed by Broadway Bares creator Jerry Mitchell, they are sickening. According to composer-lyricist Cyndi Lauper, "Sex Is in the Heel," but this show's strength is in its heart; as Lola, who's dealing with a bully and daddy issues, out star Billy Porter is actually most affecting without makeup.
Hirschfeld Theatre, open-ended.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 34 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 9 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 11 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM