Mmm — Chicken 'Tastes Like Hate,' Says Graffiti
BY Trudy Ring
August 03 2012 12:51 PM ET UPDATED: August 03 2012 3:10 PM ET
Update: Artist Manny Castro has claimed responsibility for the “Tastes Like Hate” graffiti at the Torrance, Calif., Chick-fil-A.
“Everybody is entitled to free speech, but it seems like for the gay tribe, this is more of an issue of equal rights -- human rights,” Castro told The Huffington Post. “I’m against what these people stand for, what this company stands for. They’re trying to take away what little rights we already have.”
He said he was dismayed at the number of people who came out to support the fast-food chain Wednesday. “I thought of the photographs from 40 years ago of Christians protesting blacks marrying whites,” he said. “It is the same thing.”
Castro is participating in a group art show in Los Angeles Saturday, and he promised to answer questions about the matter there.
Previously: On the eve of National Same-Sex Kiss Day at Chick-fil-A, one of the chain’s restaurants in a Los Angeles suburb was vandalized with graffiti that says its food “Tastes Like Hate.”
The graffiti was discovered early this morning at the Chick-fil-A in Torrance, local radio station KNX reports. A painting of a cow, like the one the company uses in its ads encouraging consumers to “Eat Mor Chikin,” appeared next to the words. Torrance police were called to the scene about 6:40 a.m. and are investigating.
The company, which has donated millions of dollars to antigay groups, reportedly did record business Wednesday, which conservative leaders had designated as a day of support for Chick-fil-A to counter calls for boycotts by LGBT activists and allies. Many of those who oppose the corporation’s stance are participating in today’s kiss-in.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 16 min 18 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 52 min 33 sec ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 56 min 4 sec ago
- Parenting Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting 1 hour 22 min ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 1 hour 33 min ago
- Entertainment News Carmen Carrera & Her Victoria's Secret Dream 2 hours 30 min ago
- Politics India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban 11:55 AM