Austin: New Bar Owners Refuse Gay Customers
BY Michelle Garcia
July 23 2013 12:30 PM ET
The owners of an Austin bar that used to cater to an LGBT clientele now has a new owner that reportedly has started turning away non-straight patrons.
The Red Room changed ownership last week, and since then, the new owners have advised the staff that the bar will no longer be deemed a gay bar, according to former Red Room bartender Josh Moon. Gay patrons were then asked to leave on Friday night, the first night of operation under new ownership, KVUE News reports.
He said he also heard the man tending to the door tell patrons, "This is not a gay bar anymore, you're not welcome. You can't come in."
While the owners claim a private event led to the gay patrons being asked to leave, Moon said a Facebook invitation for Friday night posted by the Red Room only calls the evening a "Grand Opening," and there was no indication that it was a private event.
Watch the report below from KHOU.com.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM