Comic Eddie Griffin Slings Lesbian Slur, Receives Faceful of Wine
BY Michelle Garcia
July 17 2012 2:08 PM ET
Comedian Eddie Griffin says his use of the word "dyke," directed at an audience member during one of his shows last week, was "slang, and not deragotory."
While on stage at Tommy T's Comedy House in Pleasanton, Calif., Griffin riled up a woman sitting in the front row, according to The Huffington Post. We don't know what he said exactly, but his rant about the woman's perceived sexual orientation prompted her to toss a glass of wine or champagne at him.
Griffin countered by dumping a glass of water on the woman and throwing the empty plastic bottle at her.
Later Griffin wrote a statement on his Facebook page that has since been removed. "That dyke bitch threw a glass of whatever she was drinkin' in my face. All over a joke about dyke bitches!" A representative for Griffin told The Huffington Post that Griffin does not want to be seen as homophobic.
The video below captures the last portion of the exchange:
- WATCH: Donald Trump Still Can't Explain His Marriage Equality Opposition
- Trayvon Martin Killer George Zimmerman Proves He's a Racist Homophobe
- WATCH: Kentucky Clerk Defies Court Again, Turns Away Same-Sex Couple a Third Time
- TBT: Mid-Century Dreamboats
- WATCH: John Oliver Explains the Equality Act
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation