Do You Stand Out? We're Searching for The Best in Queer Comedy
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2013 8:05 PM ET
We want to find the best up-and-coming LGBT comedians anywhere in the country and hand over the microphone. So we're partnering to launch "Stand Out: The National Queer Comedy Search."
Stand Out will give queer and queer-friendly comedians national exposure during an elimination round on Advocate.com and the best of the best will compete live on stage for $2,000.
The winner of Stand Out will be featured in The Advocate's comedy section. But videos for each of the 15 finalists will be included in our two-week elimination round on Advocate.com with readers encouraged to watch and vote for their favorites.
Submissions start now and continue through July 31. To enter, just send a YouTube link to a clip of between 4 and 6 minutes of continual comedy performance to [email protected]. Please include a high-resolution photo and a bio between 100 and 300 words.
Please only submit if you are available to come to Chicago September 24 to compete at the live event. The live portion will be hosted by OutLoud Chicago creator Adam Guerino and judged by Zanies booker Bert Haas, The Advocate comedy editor Jami Smith and The Chicago Reader comedy critic Molly Adams.
All are welcome — veterans and newbies. Stand Out isn't searching for the most experienced in queer and queer-friendly comedy, just the most hilarious.
Watch the contest announced from the Zanie's stage in Chicago:
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 10 min 13 sec ago
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 19 min 45 sec ago
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM