Kentucky Men Acquitted of Hate-Crime Charges in First Test of New Law
BY Julie Bolcer
October 25 2012 11:56 AM ET
Two Kentucky men were found not guilty Wednesday in the first case to be prosecuted charging a violation of the sexual orientation section of the federal hate-crimes law expanded in 2009.
Cousins Anthony Ray Jenkins and David Jason Jenkins were found guilty of kidnapping in the 2011 attack on Kevin Pennington, who is gay. The defendants were acquitted of hate-crime charges, the Associated Press reports.
Federal prosecutors had argued that the Jenkinses planned to kidnap, beat, and kill Pennington because of his sexual orientation. Defense attorneys argued the dispute happened because of a drug deal turned sour. Attorney Willis Coffey suggested that Pennington’s allegations were motivated by a political agenda.
“Coffey said Pennington pushed the idea that he was attacked for being gay to serve his own political agenda,” according to the AP. “Coffey invoked the name of President Barack Obama, who is unpopular in Kentucky and lost badly in the state four years ago.”
President Obama signed the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act in 2009. The legislation expanded federal hate-crimes law to cover attacks motivated by sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or gender.
The Jenkinses are scheduled to be sentenced in February.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM