Lesbian Couple Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
January 03 2013 3:13 PM ET UPDATED: January 14 2013 3:38 PM ET
A lesbian couple in Houston, Texas, is dead, and local police say it was an apparent muder-suicide that happened Tuesday night. According to the Houston Chronicle's Anita Hassan, 29-year-old Belinda Espinoza had been upset that evening, and called her relatives threatening suicide. A fight between her and her 24-year-old fiance, Ana Flores, had spiraled out of control. Florez called 911 to report Espinoza, but by the time Houston police arrived at the couple's home, they found that Espinoza had shot Florez and then turned the gun on herself. Both women were dead at the scene.
This certainly isn't the first murder-suicide involving a lesbian couple. In 2012, in Phoenix, Arizona, Dallas Augustine shot her wife Jessie McCaskill then killed herself. In 2008, in Boynton Beach, Fla., Carol Anne Burger stabbed her former wife Jessica Kalish more than 222 times with a screwdriver and, two days later after police discovered Kalish's body, Burger shot herself. In 2009, in Statesboro, Ga., Kiona Thais Lively shot her wife Naumbyia T. German several times, lit a house fire, and turned the gun on herself.
As for Espinoza and Flores, little is known about their final moments, but Espinoza posted a photo of the two women kissing, with the notation, "I love you too" on Facebook just minutes before the fatal shooting is said to have happened.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Guillermo Diaz: Pinup Boy
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 2 hours 42 min ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 6:00 PM