Christine Quinn: NYC to Offer Free Self-Defense Classes
BY Neal Broverman
June 02 2013 3:57 PM ET
Speaking during this weekend's Queens Pride, New York City council speaker and mayoral candidate Christine Quinn told attendees that free self-defense classes will be available for anyone anxious about the spike in antigay crimes.
Quinn, talking to WCBS, said LGBT New Yorkers can avail themselves of free self-defense courses starting next weekend. This comes after at least 24 attacks against gays that include bashings, assaults, and even the brazen murder of a gay man on a Manhattan street.
"This is the kind of violence and frequency and in severity we haven't seen in a really long time," Quinn said at the Jackson Heights parade. "It isn't safe to be gay everywhere in New York City."
The Center for Anti-Violence Prevention hosts the first class, which are aimed more at street-smarts than actual physical training, on June 8 at 4 p.m. at New York's LGBT Center. Another class is cheduled for June 12 at 7 p.m.at the Hudson Guild Elliot Center. Call (212) 788-5613 or email [email protected] for more information.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'