Christine Quinn: NYC to Offer Free Self-Defense Classes
BY Neal Broverman
June 02 2013 3:57 PM ET
Speaking during this weekend's Queens Pride, New York City council speaker and mayoral candidate Christine Quinn told attendees that free self-defense classes will be available for anyone anxious about the spike in antigay crimes.
Quinn, talking to WCBS, said LGBT New Yorkers can avail themselves of free self-defense courses starting next weekend. This comes after at least 24 attacks against gays that include bashings, assaults, and even the brazen murder of a gay man on a Manhattan street.
"This is the kind of violence and frequency and in severity we haven't seen in a really long time," Quinn said at the Jackson Heights parade. "It isn't safe to be gay everywhere in New York City."
The Center for Anti-Violence Prevention hosts the first class, which are aimed more at street-smarts than actual physical training, on June 8 at 4 p.m. at New York's LGBT Center. Another class is cheduled for June 12 at 7 p.m.at the Hudson Guild Elliot Center. Call (212) 788-5613 or email email@example.com for more information.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM