Police Search for California Trans Woman's Murderer
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 21 2013 12:18 PM ET
Police are searching for a suspect in the murder of a Californian transgender woman.
NBC's Los Angeles affiliate reports that Domonique Newburn, 32, was killed at around 4:30 p.m. Tuesday in her apartment in Fontana, Calif.
Officers responding to a call from neighbors found the residence’s front door unlocked and the victim’s body near a window, indicating she may have been trying to escape from her assailant.
The San Bernardino County coroner's office reported that Newburn’s body showed signs of physical trauma, but the cause of death is not yet determined.
Neighbors said they saw a man in his late 20s or early 30s of average height and build leaving the scene in the victim’s black 2004 Mercedes C240 sedan. The California license plate number is 7AAY925. KTLA reports that he was seen taking a computer and clothes from Newburn’s apartment.
Newburn was a cast member of a reality Web series, Hollywood House Boys, which depicts four friends trying to break into the entertainment business. Production had been halted in 2010 but resumed recently.
Newburn, on the series' website, wrote that her “Hollywood ambitions are to have gender reassignment surgery ... and be the first trans-gender to one day have a hit song on iTunes.”
Anyone with information on this case should contact the Fontana Police Department.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 6 min 41 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 58 min 7 sec ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 1 hour 46 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 2 hours 43 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 2 hours 57 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM