UCLA reopens investigation of AIDS researchers
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 20 2003 1:00 AM ET
The University of California, Los Angeles, is reopening an investigation into two faculty researchers' possible involvement in a study in China in which HIV-positive people were injected with malaria-infected blood to see whether the high fevers associated with the disease could help slow HIV replication, the Los Angeles Times reports. The study is being conducted by Chinese researchers for the Cincinnati-based Heimlich Institute.
A UCLA review board in December said it had uncovered no evidence that microbiologist John Fahey and his associate Najib Aziz had participated in the experiments. But the university reopened the investigation after the Cincinnati Enquirer recently reported that it obtained documents showing the two men had been active in the studies since 1996. Both Fahey and Aziz say they did not participate in the research.
A university spokesman reiterated Friday that UCLA has never approved any research into malariotherapy for HIV treatment but said the university would "continue its inquiry into anonymous accusations linking UCLA faculty to malaria studies in China."
The malariotherapy study has been called a "medical atrocity" by health professionals, human rights advocates, and officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 13 min 29 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 30 min 4 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 48 min 4 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 50 min 11 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 20 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 13 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 54 min ago