New Orleans AIDS patients hurt by delay in housing funds
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 09 2003 12:00 AM ET
New Orleans's receipt of federal HIV/AIDS housing funds from the Department of Housing and Urban Development has been delayed, causing as many as 1,000 low-income HIV-positive people in the area to fall short on paying mortgages, bills, and rent, The [New Orleans] Times-Picayune reports. HUD's Housing Opportunities for People With AIDS program reimburses local agencies for providing housing funding or services to people living with HIV/AIDS. But the New Orleans officials who disburse the federal funds haven't received authorization to spend money for the program because Congress passed the HOPWA funding bill only last month.
"Utilities are being turned off, and people are getting eviction notices," said Lois Falk, a housing counselor for Associated Catholic Charities.
The region also is set to receive 16% less in federal funds in 2003 than last year. Health officials say that HOPWA funds are distributed only by looking at the total number of AIDS cases in the region. While New Orleans has more people living with HIV in 2003 than last year, the fact that many do not progress to an AIDS diagnosis due to successful antiretroviral treatments has actually reduced the number of AIDS cases in the region. "It's a dual-edged sword," said Ellen Lee, who heads the city's AIDS funding commission.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 35 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 51 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 9 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 11 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 41 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM