NYC AIDS budget criticized
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 24 2003 11:00 PM ET
AIDS groups and some local officials in New York City are criticizing Mayor Michael Bloomberg's 2004 budget proposal to privatize jobs at the HIV/AIDS Services Administration, a city agency that serves about 31,000 people with HIV/AIDS, Gay City News reports. The budget also calls for cuts of $5 million for HIV-prevention programs targeting communities of color, the permanent elimination of 29 case manager positions at HASA, and moving the Mayor's Office of AIDS Policy to the health department. Deeper cuts also could be proposed later if the amount of federal and state dollars for HIV/AIDS services is smaller than expected. In that case, 400 additional HASA jobs would be eliminated to save about $18.8 million, while AIDS housing contracts would be slashed by $4.8 million, ending assistance to about 4,000 clients.
Members of the New York city council and AIDS activists blasted Bloomberg's proposed budget. "It's clear the mayor has proposed to do things that he cannot do without the city council's approval and without changes in Local Law 49," the 1997 measure that created HASA, said councilwoman Christine Quinn. "That is not going to happen." AIDS activists are organizing a protest march for April 30 that will travel from Brooklyn, across the Brooklyn Bridge, and to City Hall in lower Manhattan. Organizers hope as many as 5,000 people will participate in the protest.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 52 min 49 sec ago
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM