Study: HIV-positive men coinfected with HHV-8 face increased KS risk
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 22 2003 11:00 PM ET
A study in the August 15 edition of the journal AIDS shows that HIV-positive men who are also coinfected with the human herpesvirus type 8 could be at a significantly higher risk for developing Kaposi's sarcoma than men who don't carry HHV-8, Reuters Health reports. Researchers at the National Cancer Institute studied a group of 132 HIV-positive gay men over several years, during which 31 of the men developed KS, a skin cancer common among late-stage AIDS patients. Men infected with HHV-8 were nearly 12 times more likely to develop KS than those who did not carry the virus, according to the study. KS incidence was highest among those men who tested positive for HHV-8 infection and who also had low T-cell counts. The researchers suggest that HIV-positive men be screened for HHV-8 infection and be treated with prophylactic drugs to prevent KS if they do carry the virus.
Between 15% and 20% of all gay men are believed to be infected with HHV-8, with the percentage rising to between 30% and 50% for HIV-positive gay men. The virus is believed to be spread through sexual activity. Researchers at the University of Washington reported in late 2000 that the virus appears in high concentrations in saliva and could most easily be spread through kissing.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM