P. Diddy to run NYC marathon to raise money for AIDS groups
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2003 11:00 PM ET
Hip-hop star Sean "P. Diddy" Combs announced this week that he will run the New York City Marathon on November 2 to help raise $1 million for several health-related charities, including HIV/AIDS groups. Combs hopes the fund-raiser, called "Diddy Runs the City," will attract both individual and corporate donations. Among the groups to benefit from the fund-raiser is the Children's Hope Foundation, a volunteer-based organization that focuses on HIV-positive children. Combs's efforts are backed by a committee of stars, including Sex and the City's Sarah Jessica Parker, rapper Jay-Z, baseball star Derek Jeter, and designer Calvin Klein. Nike, McDonalds, and MTV are serving as corporate sponsors of Combs's fund-raising run.
"My hope is that by running the ING New York City Marathon this year, I not only raise money for these charities, but I also raise people's consciousness about these critical social issues and motivate others to act," Combs said.
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 52 min 11 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 51 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 51 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM