P. Diddy to run NYC marathon to raise money for AIDS groups
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 04 2003 12:00 AM ET
Hip-hop star Sean "P. Diddy" Combs announced this week that he will run the New York City Marathon on November 2 to help raise $1 million for several health-related charities, including HIV/AIDS groups. Combs hopes the fund-raiser, called "Diddy Runs the City," will attract both individual and corporate donations. Among the groups to benefit from the fund-raiser is the Children's Hope Foundation, a volunteer-based organization that focuses on HIV-positive children. Combs's efforts are backed by a committee of stars, including Sex and the City's Sarah Jessica Parker, rapper Jay-Z, baseball star Derek Jeter, and designer Calvin Klein. Nike, McDonalds, and MTV are serving as corporate sponsors of Combs's fund-raising run.
"My hope is that by running the ING New York City Marathon this year, I not only raise money for these charities, but I also raise people's consciousness about these critical social issues and motivate others to act," Combs said.
- From Jail, Kim Davis Still Refuses to Issue Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Op-ed: Kim Davis Deserves Criticism But Not for Her Looks
- Mike Huckabee Urges 'Free Kim Davis'; Others Call Her a Rosa Parks
- The Best (and Worst) Tweets About Kim Davis
- Judge Denies Divorce, Blames Marriage Equality