P. Diddy to run NYC marathon to raise money for AIDS groups
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 04 2003 12:00 AM ET
Hip-hop star Sean "P. Diddy" Combs announced this week that he will run the New York City Marathon on November 2 to help raise $1 million for several health-related charities, including HIV/AIDS groups. Combs hopes the fund-raiser, called "Diddy Runs the City," will attract both individual and corporate donations. Among the groups to benefit from the fund-raiser is the Children's Hope Foundation, a volunteer-based organization that focuses on HIV-positive children. Combs's efforts are backed by a committee of stars, including Sex and the City's Sarah Jessica Parker, rapper Jay-Z, baseball star Derek Jeter, and designer Calvin Klein. Nike, McDonalds, and MTV are serving as corporate sponsors of Combs's fund-raising run.
"My hope is that by running the ING New York City Marathon this year, I not only raise money for these charities, but I also raise people's consciousness about these critical social issues and motivate others to act," Combs said.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- Op-Ed: Gay Purple Heart Recipient Says 'Mission Not Accomplished'
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either