P. Diddy to run NYC marathon to raise money for AIDS groups
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 04 2003 12:00 AM ET
Hip-hop star Sean "P. Diddy" Combs announced this week that he will run the New York City Marathon on November 2 to help raise $1 million for several health-related charities, including HIV/AIDS groups. Combs hopes the fund-raiser, called "Diddy Runs the City," will attract both individual and corporate donations. Among the groups to benefit from the fund-raiser is the Children's Hope Foundation, a volunteer-based organization that focuses on HIV-positive children. Combs's efforts are backed by a committee of stars, including Sex and the City's Sarah Jessica Parker, rapper Jay-Z, baseball star Derek Jeter, and designer Calvin Klein. Nike, McDonalds, and MTV are serving as corporate sponsors of Combs's fund-raising run.
"My hope is that by running the ING New York City Marathon this year, I not only raise money for these charities, but I also raise people's consciousness about these critical social issues and motivate others to act," Combs said.
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 1 hour 3 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 1 hour 28 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM