Global Coalition on Women and AIDS launched
February 03 2004 12:00 AM ET
Celebrities joined health experts and equal rights campaigners on Monday to launch the Global Coalition on Women and AIDS, which will focus on improving prevention and treatment for young women and girls with HIV/AIDS. Half of the estimated 40 million people worldwide living with HIV/AIDS are women. In Africa the number of young females infected with HIV is twice that of young males. The coalition also aims to address violence against females as well as legal and social inequalities that make women more vulnerable to HIV/AIDS. "We have to make it an issue," said Peter Piot, director of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. "We want to tell these women that all these injustices and discrimination have become more lethal because of AIDS."
The coalition hopes to initiate changes at all levels that will reduce women's vulnerability to HIV/AIDS and increase their ability to deal with HIV/AIDS and its consequences. Piot said the need for a coalition on women and AIDS became clear a year or more ago because prevention methods recommending abstinence, being faithful, and using a condom were totally irrelevant for women who have been infected by their husbands. "Marriage is no protection against AIDS," said Piot.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 44 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM