Bush Visits Africa After Urging Congress to Double PEPFAR Money
January 26 2008 12:00 AM ET
A month after
returning from the Middle East, President Bush will travel
to Africa in February on a five-country tour.
accompanied by his wife, Laura, will visit Benin,
Tanzania, Rwanda, Ghana, and Liberia, the White House
announced on Friday.
''This trip will
be an opportunity for the president to review firsthand
the significant progress since his last visit in 2003 in
efforts to increase economic development and fight
HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other treatable diseases, as a
result of the United States robust programs in these
areas,'' a White House statement said.
It said Bush also
would talk with leaders about how the United States can
help promote democratic reform, respect for human rights,
free trade, open investment regimes, and economic
opportunity across the continent.
January 16 from an eight-day trip to Israel, the
Palestinian-governed West Bank, Kuwait, Bahrain, United Arab
Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt. He plans at least a
half dozen more trips to the Middle East, Asia,
Europe, and South America before leaving office next
Bush in November
urged Congress to double U.S. money for the global fight
against AIDS, to $30 billion over the next five years. In
2003 Congress approved $15 billion for the President's
Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). The program
is active in 120 countries, with a concentrated focus
on 15 in sub-Saharan Africa, Asia, and the Caribbean.
As of the end of
September, 1.36 million people in those focus countries
had received antiretroviral treatment through the program,
with a focus on averting infant infections by treating
pregnant women. Others receive testing and counseling.
funding for PEPFAR would provide treatment for 2.5 million
people, the White House said. (AP)
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- You Think You’re Worried?
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM