Kolbe considers running for Arizona governor
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 17 2001 1:00 AM ET
Rep. Jim Kolbe, the only openly gay Republican in Congress, is considering running for governor in his home state of Arizona in 2002, Roll Call reports. Ive had some people suggest it, so Im exploring whether its doable or not, Kolbe said. The current governor, Republican Jane Dee Hull, is barred from running for reelection because of term limits. Kolbe could face a challenge from former representative Matt Salmon in the Republican primary but says that wont stop him from running. Just because Matts in the race wouldnt keep me out of it, he said. That wouldnt deter me. There would clearly be some differences on policy.
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Op-Ed: Gay Purple Heart Recipient Says 'Mission Not Accomplished'