Third antigay hate crime in West Hollywood this month
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
Police in West Hollywood, Calif., are looking for suspects in what appears to be the third antigay attack in the city this month. According to reports from the sheriff's office, a 55-year-old African-American man was attacked by two assailants early Sunday morning as he was walking alone on Palm Avenue between Santa Monica and Sunset boulevards. One of the suspects was carrying a baseball bat, and the other was carrying a metal pipe, police said. Both of them were shouting antigay epithets throughout the attack, which stopped when a passing taxi cab driver yelled at the attackers and frightened them away. The driver then assisted the victim, who was not identified by police and who was later treated and released from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Police say the description of Sunday's attack and of the assailants in that attack are similar to those in the September 2 attack on actor Trev Broudy and a friend.
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- WATCH: In Pat Robertson's Latest Diatribe, Gays Are 'Terrorists'
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Op-ed: We Must End PrEP Segregation
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp