Third antigay hate crime in West Hollywood this month
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
Police in West Hollywood, Calif., are looking for suspects in what appears to be the third antigay attack in the city this month. According to reports from the sheriff's office, a 55-year-old African-American man was attacked by two assailants early Sunday morning as he was walking alone on Palm Avenue between Santa Monica and Sunset boulevards. One of the suspects was carrying a baseball bat, and the other was carrying a metal pipe, police said. Both of them were shouting antigay epithets throughout the attack, which stopped when a passing taxi cab driver yelled at the attackers and frightened them away. The driver then assisted the victim, who was not identified by police and who was later treated and released from Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Police say the description of Sunday's attack and of the assailants in that attack are similar to those in the September 2 attack on actor Trev Broudy and a friend.
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Marriage Equality Supporter Featured in Mormon Anti-Marriage Equality Post
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- Why Does Vogue Think Bisexuality Is a Phase?