White House mum on marriage ban
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 02 2003 11:00 PM ET
The White House stopped short Tuesday of endorsing an amendment to the Constitution banning same-sex marriages, but President Bush said he believes marriage is a union between a man and a woman. Senate majority leader Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican and a close Bush ally in Congress, said on Sunday that he "absolutely" supports a constitutional amendment that would define marriage as being between a man and a woman. He made his statement after the Supreme Court struck down state sodomy laws last week.
White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said Bush had not discussed the issue with Frist but that the president backed the Defense of Marriage Act. "The president believes that marriage is an institution between a man and a woman," Fleischer told reporters. "We have a law on the books right now that...passed with massive, overwhelming bipartisan majorities in 1996. The president supports that legislation, and that's where he stands right now." U.S. law defines marriage for federal purposes as between one woman and one man. Marriages between couples of the same sex are forbidden in the United States.
Debate over the issue has intensified since Canada announced earlier this month that it would legalize same-sex marriages. The U.S. high court struck down state sodomy laws last Thursday, a decision that conservative critics say could open the door to equal marriage rights in the United States.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 59 min 48 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 hour 53 min ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 2 hours 10 min ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 2 hours 19 min ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 2 hours 44 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 2 hours 47 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 2:07 PM