Pennsylvania man charged with murdering gay lover
June 22 2004 11:00 PM ET
A 25-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering a middle-aged male friend who threatened to reveal that the two had been lovers for nearly a decade. Police said Wayne Adams confessed to shooting Adam Martin, 46, several times with a pair of weapons after the two argued Saturday at a secluded spot near Nanticoke, Pa. Martin's body was found Sunday morning at the base of a steep embankment, not far from his parked Jeep.
Authorities said Adams told investigators that he was 15 when he met Martin and the two began a secret sexual relationship that lasted for nearly 10 years. Police said in court documents that Adams said the two Wilkes-Barre men had broken off the relationship earlier this year but remained friends and had gone target-shooting and drinking in the woods on Saturday when the argument broke out. According to police, Adams said that Martin had badgered him for sex and threatened to expose him as gay when he refused. In an interview with investigators at a state police barracks, Adams allegedly described retrieving a rifle, firing it several times at the victim's car, and then fetching a shotgun and firing again into Martin's body, police said. Adams was arraigned Monday afternoon on one count of criminal homicide and ordered held without bail. It was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 15 min 45 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 41 min 33 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 46 min 36 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 9 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 11 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 13 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 17 min ago