Pennsylvania man charged with murdering gay lover
June 22 2004 11:00 PM ET
A 25-year-old man was charged Monday with murdering a middle-aged male friend who threatened to reveal that the two had been lovers for nearly a decade. Police said Wayne Adams confessed to shooting Adam Martin, 46, several times with a pair of weapons after the two argued Saturday at a secluded spot near Nanticoke, Pa. Martin's body was found Sunday morning at the base of a steep embankment, not far from his parked Jeep.
Authorities said Adams told investigators that he was 15 when he met Martin and the two began a secret sexual relationship that lasted for nearly 10 years. Police said in court documents that Adams said the two Wilkes-Barre men had broken off the relationship earlier this year but remained friends and had gone target-shooting and drinking in the woods on Saturday when the argument broke out. According to police, Adams said that Martin had badgered him for sex and threatened to expose him as gay when he refused. In an interview with investigators at a state police barracks, Adams allegedly described retrieving a rifle, firing it several times at the victim's car, and then fetching a shotgun and firing again into Martin's body, police said. Adams was arraigned Monday afternoon on one count of criminal homicide and ordered held without bail. It was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM