BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2010 4:00 AM ET
Meghan McCain appeared as a guest host on The View Friday and said she was extremely proud of her mother, Cindy, for posing for the No H8 campaign and showing her support for marriage equality.
Meghan said that during the presidential campaign, it was more difficult for her and her mom to express opinions that differed from John McCain’s — she said she was fairly certain her mom felt more free to express her own opinion now that the election had passed.
“She has always been for marriage equality. There are just people who are always going to disagree on this. I think it’s a civil rights issue. Some people think it’s a party politics issue. As long as there are people who are considered unequal in this country, I think that is completely un-American.”
When talk turned to “don’t ask, don’t tell,” View moderator Whoopi Goldberg mentioned John McCain had indicated previously he’d be open to a repeal of the military’s gay ban but changed his tune and said he opposed overturning the policy.
“Obviously I disagree with my father, and I know a lot of people in the military who disagree with it,” Meghan McCain said. She said it’s a complicated issue.
Interestingly, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the most conservative of The View’s panelists, said she supports repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell,” making mention of a family friend who serves in the military who she says should “be free to be who he is.”
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 54 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM