BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2010 5:00 AM ET
Meghan McCain appeared as a guest host on The View Friday and said she was extremely proud of her mother, Cindy, for posing for the No H8 campaign and showing her support for marriage equality.
Meghan said that during the presidential campaign, it was more difficult for her and her mom to express opinions that differed from John McCain’s — she said she was fairly certain her mom felt more free to express her own opinion now that the election had passed.
“She has always been for marriage equality. There are just people who are always going to disagree on this. I think it’s a civil rights issue. Some people think it’s a party politics issue. As long as there are people who are considered unequal in this country, I think that is completely un-American.”
When talk turned to “don’t ask, don’t tell,” View moderator Whoopi Goldberg mentioned John McCain had indicated previously he’d be open to a repeal of the military’s gay ban but changed his tune and said he opposed overturning the policy.
“Obviously I disagree with my father, and I know a lot of people in the military who disagree with it,” Meghan McCain said. She said it’s a complicated issue.
Interestingly, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, the most conservative of The View’s panelists, said she supports repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell,” making mention of a family friend who serves in the military who she says should “be free to be who he is.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 14 min 56 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 33 min 12 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 39 min 49 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 55 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 5 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 33 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 39 min ago