BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2010 7:15 PM ET
San Francisco Chronicle columnists Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross write in their Sunday column an aspect of the Prop. 8 trial the media didn’t touch on while it was under way — that Judge Vaughn Walker is gay.
Reads the column: “Many gay politicians in San Francisco and lawyers who have had dealings with Walker say the 65-year-old jurist, appointed to the bench by President George H.W. Bush in 1989, has never taken pains to disguise — or advertise — his orientation. They also don't believe it will influence how he rules on the case he's now hearing — whether Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot measure approved by state voters to ban same-sex marriage, unconstitutionally discriminates against gays and lesbians.
“‘There is nothing about Walker as a judge to indicate that his sexual orientation, other than being an interesting factor, will in any way bias his view,’ said Kate Kendell, head of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which is supporting the lawsuit to overturn Prop. 8.”
The article touches on the fact that when Walker first set out to become a judge, “a major obstacle he had to overcome was the perception that he was anti-gay." As a lawyer, Walker was criticized when “he represented the U.S. Olympic Committee in a successful bid to keep San Francisco's Gay Olympics from infringing on its name.”
Walker didn’t seek out the federal Prop. 8 case — it was assigned to him at random.
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 23 min 31 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 44 min 24 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 47 min 18 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 1 hour ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 20 min ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 22 min ago