BY Advocate.com Editors
February 07 2010 6:15 PM ET
San Francisco Chronicle columnists Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross write in their Sunday column an aspect of the Prop. 8 trial the media didn’t touch on while it was under way — that Judge Vaughn Walker is gay.
Reads the column: “Many gay politicians in San Francisco and lawyers who have had dealings with Walker say the 65-year-old jurist, appointed to the bench by President George H.W. Bush in 1989, has never taken pains to disguise — or advertise — his orientation. They also don't believe it will influence how he rules on the case he's now hearing — whether Proposition 8, the 2008 ballot measure approved by state voters to ban same-sex marriage, unconstitutionally discriminates against gays and lesbians.
“‘There is nothing about Walker as a judge to indicate that his sexual orientation, other than being an interesting factor, will in any way bias his view,’ said Kate Kendell, head of the National Center for Lesbian Rights, which is supporting the lawsuit to overturn Prop. 8.”
The article touches on the fact that when Walker first set out to become a judge, “a major obstacle he had to overcome was the perception that he was anti-gay." As a lawyer, Walker was criticized when “he represented the U.S. Olympic Committee in a successful bid to keep San Francisco's Gay Olympics from infringing on its name.”
Walker didn’t seek out the federal Prop. 8 case — it was assigned to him at random.
Read the full story here.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 35 min 51 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 1 hour 36 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 40 min ago
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM