Michaels Blindsided by "Divorce" Papers
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 03 2010 11:10 AM ET
Melissa Etheridge filed paperwork Friday in a Los Angeles court to officially dissolve her domestic partnership with Tammy Lynn Michaels, according to TMZ.
The couple announced their separation in April. The couple held a commitment ceremony in 2003 and registered a domestic partnership in August 2005.
In 2006, Michaels gave birth to twins from an anonymous sperm donor.
According to court documents, Etheridge cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for the split. She is seeking joint custody of their 3-year-old children.
Michaels took to her blog Saturday morning, writing in a poem that she felt "blindsided" by Etheridge.
FILE FOR DIVORCE!!!!!!
even though we both promised
no filing until after tour
in the fall"
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas