Eddie Long Won't Resign
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 27 2010 2:47 AM ET
Bishop Eddie Long, accused of sexual relationships with four young men, told a cheering crowd of thousands at his New Birth Missionary Baptist Church that he won't resign as pastor, reports the Associated Press.
"We’re here today and every Sunday morning. And I’ll be here next week. First of all let me thank you on behalf on my wife my family for all of your support and prayers," Long told the congregation. "I realize many have been waiting on me to say something."
"There have been allegations and attacks made on me," Long said. "I have never in my life portrayed myself as a perfect man. But I am not the man that's being portrayed on the television. That's not me. That is not me." The crowd erupted in applause.
"I feel like David against Goliath," Long added. "But I've got five rocks and I haven't thrown one yet."
Long is a longtime opponent of marriage equality, and his church counsels gay members to become heterosexual. During the past week four men have alleged that Long lured them into sexual acts against their will by offering them cars, cash, jewelry, and vacations. One of the men claims Long gave him a sleeping pill before engaging in sexual acts with him.
Watch video of Long below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM