Obama: "It Gets Better"
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 21 2010 10:30 PM ET
The White House on Thursday released a video of President
Obama telling gay youths that “It gets better.”Obama’s video is the latest submission to a YouTube program launched by columnist Dan Savage to raise awareness around teen suicide and
provide support to at-risk gay youth.
In his video, Obama said: “I don’t know what it’s like to be
picked on for being gay, but I do know what it’s like to grow up feeling that
sometimes you don’t belong. It’s tough. For a lot of kids, the sense of being
alone or apart, I know it can just wear on you. And when you’re teased or
bullied, it can seem like somehow you brought it on yourself for being
different or for not fitting in with everybody else. But I want to say is this:
You are not alone. You didn’t do anything wrong. You didn’t do anything to
deserve being bullied, and there is a whole world waiting for
you — filled with possibilities. There are people out there who love you and care
about you just the way you are.”
Watch the video below.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 8 min 11 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 31 min 3 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 38 min 31 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 46 min 36 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 49 min 11 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 57 min 19 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 2 hours 16 min ago