American Apparel Reaches Out to Students
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 24 2010 1:55 PM ET
Clothing retailer American Apparel has shipped 500 of its "Legalize Gay" shirts to the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater after a student was attacked while wearing one of the tees.
A freshman student was wearing the shirt in September when she was punched in the face and called a gay slur by two men. According to The Gazette, neither of the suspects have been identified.
The shirts went to IMPACT, a student organization, to be given away on campus. American Apparel also bought a one-page advertisement in the school newspaper condemning the attack.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 8 min 9 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 1 hour 57 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM