Darren Criss: Big Man on Campus
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2011 1:00 PM ET
Move over, Puck — there's a new hunk on Glee. As handsome, "Teenage Dream" Blaine — the object of Kurt's affection — Darren Criss has become an overnight sensation for girls and gays alike.
Out magazine sat down with the 24-year-old actor for a sexy photo shoot, a frank interview about his rise to stardom, and having to come out as straight in the media.
From the interview: "Knowing that 'Are you gay?' would be among the first questions lobbed at him, Criss initially thought he would tell reporters something ambiguous and 'idealistic' like 'It doesn’t matter if I’m gay or straight — I’m playing a role.' Though new to Hollywood, he’s wise enough to know that such a tactic could have backfired. He concluded, 'I didn’t want to make it troublesome.'
"So Criss came out, as it were, as straight, and now he regularly says things like 'I think it’s more empowering to everybody, including myself, if I’m articulate about identifying myself as a straight male playing a gay character. Ultimately, that’s more powerful for both communities.'"
The actor also talks about Blaine's budding relationship with Kurt, his love of Broadway and movie musicals, and why he thinks seeing Blaine and Kurt on network television is a huge deal for gay teens everywhere.
Click here for more photos and to read more of Out's interview with Criss.
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM