Darren Criss: Big Man on Campus
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 14 2011 2:00 PM ET
Move over, Puck — there's a new hunk on Glee. As handsome, "Teenage Dream" Blaine — the object of Kurt's affection — Darren Criss has become an overnight sensation for girls and gays alike.
Out magazine sat down with the 24-year-old actor for a sexy photo shoot, a frank interview about his rise to stardom, and having to come out as straight in the media.
From the interview: "Knowing that 'Are you gay?' would be among the first questions lobbed at him, Criss initially thought he would tell reporters something ambiguous and 'idealistic' like 'It doesn’t matter if I’m gay or straight — I’m playing a role.' Though new to Hollywood, he’s wise enough to know that such a tactic could have backfired. He concluded, 'I didn’t want to make it troublesome.'
"So Criss came out, as it were, as straight, and now he regularly says things like 'I think it’s more empowering to everybody, including myself, if I’m articulate about identifying myself as a straight male playing a gay character. Ultimately, that’s more powerful for both communities.'"
The actor also talks about Blaine's budding relationship with Kurt, his love of Broadway and movie musicals, and why he thinks seeing Blaine and Kurt on network television is a huge deal for gay teens everywhere.
Click here for more photos and to read more of Out's interview with Criss.
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 52 min 27 sec ago
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM