Equality Advocates Un-marry in New York
BY Julie Bolcer
February 14 2011 10:40 AM ET
Marriage equality advocates gathered in Central Park in New York City on Sunday for what they hope will be their last action to “un-marry” in protest of discrimination against same-sex couples.
DNA Info reports that, “Couples at the ceremony, officiated by Billy Talen, known as ‘Reverend Billy,’ of The Church of Life After Shopping, pledged to become ‘unmarried’ until all people in New York are free to legally marry the partner of their choosing.”
The action was staged by 12 couples at the Bethesda Fountain because of the role the angel statue plays in the Tony Kushner play Angels in America.
The Church of Life After Shopping held the “un-marry” ceremony for the second year in a row, but organizers said that strong support for marriage equality from Gov. Andrew Cuomo could make this year’s event the last.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 1 hour 43 min ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 2 hours 35 min ago
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 9:27 AM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When Scout Comes Out at Camp 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM