Angry Gays Make Sally Kern Fear for Life
BY Trudy Ring
October 12 2011 3:53 PM ET
Oklahoma state representative Sally Kern, who has called gays more dangerous than terrorists, apparently means that literally — she recently said she believes her antigay stances could put her life in jeopardy.
Kern, appearing Monday on the conservative religious radio show WallBuilders Live, told hosts David Barton and Rick Green that “fear gripped my whole body” when she realized she was receiving angry emails from gay people after a video of her remarks about gays and terrorists was posted online in March 2008.
Green commented that her reaction was likely “physical fear” rather than merely “political fear,” and she responded that she and her husband “asked ourselves the question, are we willing to even lose our lives over this?”
Kern was promoting her book, The Stoning of Sally Kern, which has been endorsed by Anita Bryant and other antigay activists. Listen to the exchange at People for the American Way’s Right Wing Watch blog.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 38 min 49 sec ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM