Possibly the Most Beautiful Ad for Marriage Equality We've Seen
BY Lucas Grindley
November 27 2011 12:39 PM ET
GetUp! in Australia released a commercial on Thursday from the perspective of one half of a gay couple in love. It builds to the big moment that they want legalized — a proposal to get married.
Polls in Australia show support for marriage equality has increased to almost two-thirds of voters. But Prime Minister Julia Gillard remains opposed, arguing that "the institution of marriage has come to have a particular meaning and standing in our culture and nation and that should continue unchanged."
In the commercial, the couple seems like any other that might fit that "meaning," except for their gender. Groups such as The Third Way in Washington have argued based on new research that it's a message of commitment like this one — and not about benefits or rights — that will be most effective with voters.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM