Possibly the Most Beautiful Ad for Marriage Equality We've Seen
BY Lucas Grindley
November 27 2011 1:39 PM ET
GetUp! in Australia released a commercial on Thursday from the perspective of one half of a gay couple in love. It builds to the big moment that they want legalized — a proposal to get married.
Polls in Australia show support for marriage equality has increased to almost two-thirds of voters. But Prime Minister Julia Gillard remains opposed, arguing that "the institution of marriage has come to have a particular meaning and standing in our culture and nation and that should continue unchanged."
In the commercial, the couple seems like any other that might fit that "meaning," except for their gender. Groups such as The Third Way in Washington have argued based on new research that it's a message of commitment like this one — and not about benefits or rights — that will be most effective with voters.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- t.A.T.u. Singer OK with Lesbians, But Being Gay Is 'Unmanly'
- WATCH: Straight Dad Punched For Calling Out Woman's Antigay Slurs
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt