Possibly the Most Beautiful Ad for Marriage Equality We've Seen
BY Lucas Grindley
November 27 2011 1:39 PM ET
GetUp! in Australia released a commercial on Thursday from the perspective of one half of a gay couple in love. It builds to the big moment that they want legalized — a proposal to get married.
Polls in Australia show support for marriage equality has increased to almost two-thirds of voters. But Prime Minister Julia Gillard remains opposed, arguing that "the institution of marriage has come to have a particular meaning and standing in our culture and nation and that should continue unchanged."
In the commercial, the couple seems like any other that might fit that "meaning," except for their gender. Groups such as The Third Way in Washington have argued based on new research that it's a message of commitment like this one — and not about benefits or rights — that will be most effective with voters.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 19 min 57 sec ago
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 22 min 29 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 1 hour 14 min ago
- Travel Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples 2 hours 16 min ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 2 hours 33 min ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 2 hours 44 min ago