Possibly the Most Beautiful Ad for Marriage Equality We've Seen
BY Lucas Grindley
November 27 2011 1:39 PM ET
GetUp! in Australia released a commercial on Thursday from the perspective of one half of a gay couple in love. It builds to the big moment that they want legalized — a proposal to get married.
Polls in Australia show support for marriage equality has increased to almost two-thirds of voters. But Prime Minister Julia Gillard remains opposed, arguing that "the institution of marriage has come to have a particular meaning and standing in our culture and nation and that should continue unchanged."
In the commercial, the couple seems like any other that might fit that "meaning," except for their gender. Groups such as The Third Way in Washington have argued based on new research that it's a message of commitment like this one — and not about benefits or rights — that will be most effective with voters.
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Transmit HIV Through Oral Sex? 11 min ago
- Current Issue Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo 54 min 36 sec ago
- Archives From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69 55 min 44 sec ago
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 2 hours 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM