Malawi President Drops Pledge to Decriminalize Homosexuality
BY Michelle Garcia
September 30 2012 12:21 PM ET
Malawi President Joyce Banda is reneging a pledge to decriminalize homosexuality in her country, a promise she made in efforts to reform Malawi.
Banda, who assumed the presidency after the death of President Bingu wa Mutharika in April, said there isn't enough public interest to change the law, the Associated Press reports.
"Where Malawi is and most African countries are, is maybe where America or the U.K. where about 100 years ago," she said Wednesday after addressing the United Nations General Assembly. "The best thing the world can do is to allow each country to take its course, to allow each country to have that debate freely without the pressure of being pushed."
A month after becoming president, Banda told Malawi's parliament that the so-called "unnatural acts" laws were unjust and had strained diplomatic relationships. Many global leaders criticized Malawi's government for sentencing a same-sex couple to prison for 14 years for celebrating their engagement. The charges were eventually dropped.
Following her address to parliament, Banda faced immense push-back from prominent religious figures.
"Anyone who has listened to the debate in Malawi realizes that Malawians are not ready to deal with that right now. I as a leader have no right to influence how people feel," she added last week.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 9 min 7 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 12 min 1 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 22 min 32 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 23 min 55 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 30 min 15 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 35 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Abortionists, Married Gays Leading 'War on Christmas' 1 hour 22 min ago