LGBT Ugandans File Suit Against Antigay American Pastor Scott Lively
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 04 2013 8:32 PM ET
On Monday, January 7, lawyers representing Sexual Minorities Uganda will make oral arguments in a landmark case that aims to hold the American founder of Abiding Truth Ministries, Scott Lively, responsible for inciting persecution of LGBT people in Uganda. SMUG v. Scott Lively was filed in federal district court in March 2012, and alleges that the Evangelical pastor's efforts in Uganda to equate homosexuality with the Nazis, Rwandan genocide, pedophilia and more, violate international human rights law.
The Center for Constitutional Rights is representing SMUG, and will offer oral arguments at 11 a.m. on Monday at the Federal Courthouse in Springfield, Mass. The arguments will address Lively's motion to dismiss the case, and LGBT advocates are asking any and all supporters to attend the hearing in a show of solidarity with Uganda's LGBT community.
The case is the first of its kind, and relies on a 200-year-old law known as the Alien Tort Statute, which gives "survivors of egregious human rights abuses, wherever committed, the right to sue the perpetrators in the United States," according to the Center for Justice and Accountability.
Following the arguments, expected to last for two hours, CCR will hold a press conference with legal counsel and Frank Mugisha, Executive Director of SMUG. The Advocate will offer follow-up coverage on the hearing.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 6 min 10 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 10 min 47 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 26 min 47 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 30 min 33 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 43 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 17 min ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 1 hour 20 min ago