LGBT Group Wants Russian Parliament Dissolved
BY Neal Broverman
February 25 2013 6:07 PM ET
As Russia considers a national antigay bill, one of the country's LGBT groups is calling for the dissolution of parliament.
The legislative body, or Duma, is weighing a bill to ban gay "propaganda," which would punish any journalist or artist who presents homosexuality in what is deemed a positive light. The nation's Rainbow Association is not only planning a protest against the legislation, but wants the entire Duma dissolved.
Rainbow Association chairman Andrei Obolensky and deputy Pavel Samburov urged "everyone who shares our ideas to join us and help prepare, organize and hold a rally against all antinational bills that the State Duma has adopted or plans to adopt, and to promote the dissolution of the Duma."
The Duma passed a draft "propaganda" bill in January. Read more here.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM