LGBT Group Wants Russian Parliament Dissolved
BY Neal Broverman
February 25 2013 6:07 PM ET
As Russia considers a national antigay bill, one of the country's LGBT groups is calling for the dissolution of parliament.
The legislative body, or Duma, is weighing a bill to ban gay "propaganda," which would punish any journalist or artist who presents homosexuality in what is deemed a positive light. The nation's Rainbow Association is not only planning a protest against the legislation, but wants the entire Duma dissolved.
Rainbow Association chairman Andrei Obolensky and deputy Pavel Samburov urged "everyone who shares our ideas to join us and help prepare, organize and hold a rally against all antinational bills that the State Duma has adopted or plans to adopt, and to promote the dissolution of the Duma."
The Duma passed a draft "propaganda" bill in January. Read more here.
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 23 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 29 min 21 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 32 min 52 sec ago
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 40 min 55 sec ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 57 min 33 sec ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 58 min 45 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Jeff Koons, John Waters Discuss Art 1 hour 11 min ago