LGBT Group Wants Russian Parliament Dissolved
BY Neal Broverman
February 25 2013 7:07 PM ET
As Russia considers a national antigay bill, one of the country's LGBT groups is calling for the dissolution of parliament.
The legislative body, or Duma, is weighing a bill to ban gay "propaganda," which would punish any journalist or artist who presents homosexuality in what is deemed a positive light. The nation's Rainbow Association is not only planning a protest against the legislation, but wants the entire Duma dissolved.
Rainbow Association chairman Andrei Obolensky and deputy Pavel Samburov urged "everyone who shares our ideas to join us and help prepare, organize and hold a rally against all antinational bills that the State Duma has adopted or plans to adopt, and to promote the dissolution of the Duma."
The Duma passed a draft "propaganda" bill in January. Read more here.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
- Op-ed: To You There, in the Closet
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM