Venezuelan Presidential Candidate Fights Antigay Talk
BY Michelle Garcia
March 12 2013 12:06 PM ET
The candidate vying for the position of Venezuelan president after the death of Hugo Chavez said that homophobia is "absolute fascism...from the extreme right."
Henrique Capriles, is running against interim president and former vice president Nicolás Maduro, who had previously used an antigay slur to describe Capriles's party in 2012. Capriles, who is Jewish, was also attacked last year for his religious background, as well as for being presumably gay because he is single.
On Monday, Maduro made another assertion referring to Capriles' sexual orientation during a campaign speech.
"I do have a wife, you know? I do like women!" he said, according to Reuters. His wife, attorney general Cilia Flores, was at his side. She will step down from her post to join her husband's campaign.
Capriles, who is straight, condemned the remarks, and said he would continue to stand up for "respect for all Venezuelans."
"I want to send a message of ... rejection about Nicolas' homophobic declarations," Capriles added, according to Blabbeando. "I believe in a society without exclusion and that's the way I express it to the country. A society where no one feels excluded based on the way they think, their race, their creed, their sexual orientation. People should go out and reject it. That's fascism. Absolute fascism. From the extreme right."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 25 min 50 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 19 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 35 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM