PHOTOS: Can These Protests Make India Change Its Ways?
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 16 2013 1:29 AM ET
Protesters didn't hold back this weekend in their outrage over the recent decision by India’s Supreme Court to reinstate the criminalization of homosexuality.
A ruling on Wednesday restored a colonial law that prohibits "carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman, or animal,” with punishment possibly landing a person 10 years in prison. The law, Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, had been struck down in 2009 by a lower court that deemed it unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court said it had overstepped its authority.
The Indian government promised immediate action on the controversial decision, and protesters organized the "Day of Rage." See photos below from the rallies staged in New Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- PHOTOS: Jesus Days
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died