PHOTOS: Can These Protests Make India Change Its Ways?
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 16 2013 2:29 AM ET
Protesters didn't hold back this weekend in their outrage over the recent decision by India’s Supreme Court to reinstate the criminalization of homosexuality.
A ruling on Wednesday restored a colonial law that prohibits "carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman, or animal,” with punishment possibly landing a person 10 years in prison. The law, Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, had been struck down in 2009 by a lower court that deemed it unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court said it had overstepped its authority.
The Indian government promised immediate action on the controversial decision, and protesters organized the "Day of Rage." See photos below from the rallies staged in New Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai.
- WATCH: Bianca Del Rio and Adore Delano Star in Starbucks' First LGBT Commercial
- Couple Plead Guilty to Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Tim Cook: Being Gay Has Helped Me Lead Apple
- The LGBT Films of AFI Fest 2014
- Dallas Airport Attacker Unlikely to Face Hate Crime Charges