PHOTOS: Can These Protests Make India Change Its Ways?
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 16 2013 2:29 AM ET
Protesters didn't hold back this weekend in their outrage over the recent decision by India’s Supreme Court to reinstate the criminalization of homosexuality.
A ruling on Wednesday restored a colonial law that prohibits "carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman, or animal,” with punishment possibly landing a person 10 years in prison. The law, Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, had been struck down in 2009 by a lower court that deemed it unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court said it had overstepped its authority.
The Indian government promised immediate action on the controversial decision, and protesters organized the "Day of Rage." See photos below from the rallies staged in New Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai.
- Kris Humphries Doesn't Support Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Mo'Nique: Blackbird Is My 'Love Letter' to the Gay Community