PHOTOS: Can These Protests Make India Change Its Ways?
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 16 2013 2:29 AM ET
Protesters didn't hold back this weekend in their outrage over the recent decision by India’s Supreme Court to reinstate the criminalization of homosexuality.
A ruling on Wednesday restored a colonial law that prohibits "carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman, or animal,” with punishment possibly landing a person 10 years in prison. The law, Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code, had been struck down in 2009 by a lower court that deemed it unconstitutional. But the Supreme Court said it had overstepped its authority.
The Indian government promised immediate action on the controversial decision, and protesters organized the "Day of Rage." See photos below from the rallies staged in New Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai.
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- PHOTOS: Six Stabbed at Jerusalem Pride March