Antigay Leader Says He Was Once Attracted to the Same Sex
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 1:19 PM ET
One of the most notorious antigay figures admitted during a radio interview this week that he once felt same-sex attraction but claims the culture overcame it.
Paul Cameron had most recently claimed that President Obama is secretly gay and reiterated that "the plausibility is growing" during an interview on David Pakman's radio show.
Cameron, now the chairman of the Family Research Institute, still calls himself a psychologist though he was kicked out of the American Psychological Association for his debunked views.
Pakman likes to invite the most radical of right-wingers on his show to put their views on display. During a conversation about whether people choose to be gay, Pakman asked the disgraced researcher, "What age were you when you decided?"
"I didn't do that so much consciously," Cameron said. "I reacted to my environment. As you are probably aware, I was seduced or raped as a child. I was about three. I was raped homosexually and so had that continued I don't know where I would have ended up. But I do know that the culture that was directed toward heterosexuality overcame whatever feelings I had, and I had some."
Cameron said that he had gotten rid of his attraction for other boys "by the time I was say 8 or 9 or 10, I was thoroughly interested in girls."
And now Cameron says, "On a scale of 1 to 100 it's zip." He laughed off a question from Pakman about whether it's possible he's gay. "If anything, I am repelled by it, I am probably about a minus 100."
Watch video of the interview below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM