Jan Brewer Asks Supreme Court to Strip Benefits From Same-Sex Partners
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 12:59 PM ET
Arizona governor Jan Brewer is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a ruling that provides domestic-partner benefits to same-sex spouses of state employees.
Arizona claims that the Ninth Circuit misconstrued the equal protection clause. Blog JoeMyGod quotes Chris Geldner's report:
"After the 2011 decision, lawyers for the state asked the Ninth Circuit to re-hear the case en banc, or by an 11-judge panel. On April 3, the Ninth Circuit denied the request, starting the 90-day clock for the governor to file a petition for a writ of certiorari asking the Supreme Court to take the case. The Ninth Circuit ruling, which upheld a trial-court ruling, kept an Arizona law from going into effect that, as the appeals court held, 'would have terminated eligibility for health-care benefits of state employeesâ€™ same-sex partners.'
"Paula S. Bickett, the chief counsel for Civil Appeals in Arizona Attorney Generalâ€™s Tom Horne (R)â€™s office, is the counsel of record for the Gov. Brewer. Lambda Legal is representing the plaintiff couples, who have until August 6 to submit their response to the governorâ€™s petition."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 32 min 5 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 12 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM