Jan Brewer Asks Supreme Court to Strip Benefits From Same-Sex Partners
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 08 2012 12:59 PM ET
Arizona governor Jan Brewer is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a ruling that provides domestic-partner benefits to same-sex spouses of state employees.
Arizona claims that the Ninth Circuit misconstrued the equal protection clause. Blog JoeMyGod quotes Chris Geldner's report:
"After the 2011 decision, lawyers for the state asked the Ninth Circuit to re-hear the case en banc, or by an 11-judge panel. On April 3, the Ninth Circuit denied the request, starting the 90-day clock for the governor to file a petition for a writ of certiorari asking the Supreme Court to take the case. The Ninth Circuit ruling, which upheld a trial-court ruling, kept an Arizona law from going into effect that, as the appeals court held, 'would have terminated eligibility for health-care benefits of state employeesâ€™ same-sex partners.'
"Paula S. Bickett, the chief counsel for Civil Appeals in Arizona Attorney Generalâ€™s Tom Horne (R)â€™s office, is the counsel of record for the Gov. Brewer. Lambda Legal is representing the plaintiff couples, who have until August 6 to submit their response to the governorâ€™s petition."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 36 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM