HRC Endorses Christine Quinn for NYC Mayor
BY Trudy Ring
February 01 2013 1:28 PM ET
The Human Rights Campaign today endorsed Christine Quinn, the out lesbian City Council speaker, in the race to be New York City’s next mayor.
“New York needs Christine Quinn because she approaches every issue she cares about with passion and drive,” HRC president Chad Griffin said in a press release. “Whether it’s equality for all New Yorkers, great public schools, or 21st-century infrastructure, Chris is ready to fight for the city New Yorkers deserve.” HRC noted Quinn’s work for LGBT rights, funding for HIV/AIDS services, on-time and balanced budgets, and prevention of teacher layoffs and firehouse closings.
Quinn, who is expected to face at least three opponents in the August 3 Democratic primary, would be the first woman and first openly gay person to be mayor of the nation’s largest city. She is a close ally of Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who is not seeking reelection.
“I am so very honored that the Human Rights Campaign is backing my candidacy and I look forward to their partnership over the coming months,” Quinn said in the HRC release.
Quinn this week received another significant endorsement, from the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union, one of the most powerful labor organizations in the city.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Seat Filler: What's Gay Off-Broadway
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 1 hour 41 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 2 hours 7 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 7:00 AM
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM