Tony Perkins: Don't Give Money to GOP Until It's More Antigay
BY Lucas Grindley
April 12 2013 7:00 AM ET
The head of the Family Research Council, Tony Perkins, who once bragged that he'd written the antigay portions of last year's Republican Party platform, is now telling his followers to boycott.
Perkins wants payback for suggestions by Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus and others who say the GOP should spend less time talking about "traditional" marriage.
"Until the RNC and the other national Republican organizations grow a backbone and start defending core principles, don't give them a dime of your hard-earned money," Perkins wrote to followers in a newsletter on Thursday. He suggested that instead they send checks directly to FRC because, "At least then you can relax, knowing that your money will be spent advancing faith, family, and freedom!"
Perkins is unmoved by analysis suggesting the party is alienating young voters, who polls show overwhelmingly support marriage equality.
"Instead of trying to appease millennials, Republicans should try educating them on why marriage matters," he wrote.
It's not like Priebus is suddenly in favor of marriage equality. Perkins is reacting to his calls for tolerance and a shift of priorities. "I don't believe we need to act like Old Testament heretics," he told the Detroit Free Press.
Still, the RNC will vote today during a meeting in Hollywood on a resolution that reiterates the party's opinion that marriage should be limited to a man and a woman while also calling on the Supreme Court to rule against LGBT activists in two landmark cases it heard in March.
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 41 min 26 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 1 hour 41 min ago
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM