Obama Nominates Lesbian Attorney for Second EEOC Term
BY Trudy Ring
May 24 2013 1:52 PM ET
President Obama has nominated Chai Feldblum, a lesbian attorney and expert on laws affecting LGBT people, the disabled, and health care policy, for a second term on the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Human Rights Campaign reports on its blog.
Feldblum’s first term ends July 1. She has been an EEOC member since 2010 and is the first out LGBT person to serve on the commission. A highlight of her first term was last year’s unanimous ruling that discrimination against transgender people amounts to sex discrimination and is therefore banned by federal law.
Feldblum’s initial nomination to the commission was highly controversial, with many conservative activists objecting to her outspoken support for LGBT causes. The Senate failed to confirm her appointment after a hearing in late 2009, so the president used his recess appointment power to put her on the EEOC in March 2010. In December of that year the Senate finally voted to confirm her.
She has taught at Georgetown University Law Center and worked as an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union. She helped draft the Americans With Disabilities Act, a federal law passed in 1990 to protect the rights of disabled people, and the still-pending Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM