WATCH: Your Questions Answered on Visas for Same-Sex Spouses
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 09 2013 5:24 PM ET
Following Secretary of State John Kerry's announcement last week that the state department would immediately begin treating visa applications of married same-sex couples the same way it treats applications from opposite-sex married couples, the Department of State hosted a Google+ video hangout reviewing the change in guidelines.
The Washington Blade's White House and chief political correspondent, Chris Johnson, served as the moderator for the half-hour question-and-answer session, which also featured David Stewart, Consul General of the U.S. Embassy in London; Don Heflin, Managing Director of the State Department’s Visa Office; and Victoria Neilson, Legal Director of Immigration Equality.
Questions included whether the U.S. State Department will consider the amount of time binational same-sex couples have had to wait to get equal access to visas, how foreign domestic partnerships will be recognized by the Dept. of State, if gay and lesbian Americans legally married to foreign-born spouses can apply for green cards at international consulates, and several other key questions.
Watch the entire Google+ Hangout below.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Gay Man Allegedly Assaulted by Hasidic Gang in New York
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM